Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Editorial edict on editing

For the next month or so I will be blogging about editing for a journalism class.

Scott Kleinberg (social media editor at the Chicago Tribune) says that good bloggers follow the rule of thirds:
-a third should be about your company
-a third should be personal--talk about yourself
-and the final third should be reposts from the work of others (cited, of course--we ARE journalists here!)

So to start off this little adventure, I am reblogging/reposting a blog that a fellow American Copy Editors Society member had retweeted last week. So please read the link below!

http://nuzedit.blogspot.com/2013/07/oops-our-slip-is-showing.html

I truly felt like I connected with this story--being a copy editor at the Daily Nebraskan in college was so much fun! I never thought I'd be able to do it as a profession! But it takes a certain kind of person. For instance I know some Facebookers who could not handle it because they do not know the they're/there/their rule. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. 

What I loved the most though was the Illinois teacher's response to future mockers of editors: "I'll punch them in the face."

No comments:

Post a Comment